School of Theatre > For teens > Teen Council > Playwriting Competition
Teen One-Acts Festival Playwriting Competition
Congratulations to the winners of the 2013 Teen One-Acts Playwriting Competition!
- Orpheum by Frances Maples (Acalanes High School)
- Story by Leonard Watts by Sophia Cannata-Bowman (Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep)
These teen playwrights saw their work go from page to stage at the Teen One-Acts Festival this spring at Berkeley Rep School of Theatre.
Working on a play for next year’s festival? It’s never too late to begin writing, and we encourage young playwrights to submit to next year’s competition! Every year, teens from across the Bay Area submit one-act plays to be reviewed by a panel of Teen Council members and Berkeley Rep staff. Two plays are chosen and then produced by the Teen Council in the spring at Berkeley Rep School of Theatre.
All applicants must submit the entry form (PDF) and one full copy of the script for review.
One-act plays must:
- Run approximately 35 minutes in length (think 25–30 pages of text).
- Include at least 3 characters.
- Be typewritten and compatible with Microsoft Word.
- Format: 12pt font, double spaced.
How do I submit my play?
We’re email people here. Our preference? Email your submission to email@example.com with subject line “Teen One-Acts Festival Play Submission.”
Want to do it the old fashioned way? Send a copy of your script and the entry form to:
Teen One-Acts Festival
Berkeley Rep School of Theatre
2025 Addison Street
Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510 647–2973.
Want to know how the plays are reviewed? Download the rubric (PDF) that’s used to critique and discuss the Teen One-Acts play submissions.
(To view PDFs, you must have Adobe Acrobat. Download a free Adobe Acrobat reader.)
- The Adoration by Emma Dudley
- The Inventors by Frances Maples
- Nothing Happens and Nobody Knows What They’re Talking About by Andrew Moorhead
- Speak Like This: The Prayer Play by Naomi Zingman-Daniels
- Off With His Head by Kelly Roderick
- The Death of a Nut by Sierra Schoefer
- To All the Ideas I’ve Loved Before by Roxie Perkins
- El Centro Basco by Scott R. White
- Perfect Score by Katie Henry
- El Soldado by Roxie Perkins
- Bookstore by Leslie Ribovich
- The Immobile Elevator by Emily English
- Room 12 by Katie Henry
- Joey Buttafuoco Eats a Pastrami Sandwich by Lauren D. Yee
- Synesthesia by Liz Phelps
- High School in 4 Letters by Liz Phelps
- Rocking in the Free World by Kelly Stevens
- How I Learned to Make Things Disappear by Micki Baron
- The Life and Trials of Lucifer by Salvador Ramos
- The Living Room by Gabe Crane
- Prestigious University by The Branson School Acting Performance Ensemble
- Thoughts for a Lonely Supermarket by Gabe Crane
back to top