About us > Past productions > 2011/12 > Rita Moreno: Life Without Makeup
Let Rita Moreno’s extraordinary story inspire you to learn more about the American musical (especially West Side Story), the Latina experience and more. Berkeley Rep’s literary department hand-selected these related resources just for you.
West Side Story: Cultural Perspectives on an American Musical by Elizabeth A. Wells
- A book that takes a detailed look at the way West Side Story came into being and its profound effect on American theatre, cinema and culture.
Something’s Coming, Something Good: West Side Story and the American Imagination by Misha Berson
- Another book about West Side Story’s impact on America.
Original Story By: A Memoir of Broadway and Hollywood by Arthur Laurents
- An autobiography of the man who wrote the script for West Side Story.
Hijas Americanas: Beauty, Body Image, and Growing Up Latina by Rosie Molinary
- Interviewing more than 500 first-, second- and third-generation Latinas, Molinary examines the affect that growing up cross-culturally has had on their sense of womanhood.
Borderline Personalities: a new generation of Latinas dish on sex, sass, & cultural shifting, edited by Robyn Moreno and Michelle Herrera Mulligan
- If you found Rita Moreno’s story captivating, consider reading about the triumphs and frustrations of these 20 Latina writers.
The Electric Company
- See new episodes of The Electric Company streaming on the web. PBS revived the series in 2009, putting a 21st-century twist on an old favorite.
Rita singing “Fever” on The Muppet Show
Rita as Pandora doing “Sneak a Snack”
Rita in the sketch with Bill Cosby that started “Hey You Guys!”
In addition to the films mentioned at length in the production (such as West Side Story, The King and I and Carnal Knowledge), here are some other films you will find fascinating:
The Best of the Electric Company (DVD)
- See more of Pandora and the gang!
Broadway: The American Musical (DVD)
- A multi-part series that chronicles the history of the Broadway musical.
Jerome Robbins: Something to Dance About (DVD)
- A documentary on the life of the extraordinary yet controversial choreographer for the ballet as well as Broadway classics like West Side Story, The King and I and Gypsy.
back to top